Turmeric, the popular yellow spice added to many dishes, has become the latest trend in the foodie world. Thanks to its powerful medicinal properties, people add turmeric to many foods and dishes, such as the popular turmeric milk. Since we already add turmeric in our food for dietary reasons, it begs the question: can we also add it to our skin care routine?
As it turns out, you can use turmeric to treat many common skin conditions, including:
- dry skin
- under eye circles
- skin inflammation
It brightens the skin and reduces pigmentation to create an even skin tone. If you suffer from any of these conditions, or you simply want to improve the health and look of your skin, you may benefit from a turmeric application. It’s important to note that some users experience mild allergic reactions when they apply turmeric, so it’s suggested to first do a skin test.
If you have turmeric on hand, we recommend incorporating it into a luxurious face mask. We found a DIY recipe from Dr. Axe that includes a few all natural ingredients that we love. Here’s what you need and why we love them.
Ingredients that Matter
- Turmeric Powder: Packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components, turmeric powder protects the skin from free radicals and clear blemishes.
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: It’s a good skin wash and helps fight wrinkles and fine lines.
- Organic Honey: There are many benefits of honey. It prevents acne and is packed with antioxidants that slows down the aging process. You can also mix it into your moisturizer for an extra boost of moisture.
- Milk or Yogurt: In this DIY face mask, you have the option of choosing whichever you prefer, but both have lactic acid that lightens dark patches on the skin.
- Lemon Juice: This final ingredient helps fight acne as well as brighten skin
Ingredients for Turmeric Face Mask
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic, raw honey (preferably local)
- 1/2 teaspoon milk or yogurt
- Drop of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Remove your makeup and wash your face
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients until you achieve a smooth, but thick consistency (if it’s too runny, it will run down your face)
- Carefully apply the mask to your face
- Allow the mask to sit on your face for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Apply twice a week for best results
According to Dr. Axe, you should apply these facial mask twice a week for best results.