With so many exfoliation products on the market, you would never guess that the best way to exfoliate is by using a washcloth. It’s so effective because washcloths work for every skin type. It’s also more gentle than the name brand products on the market. This means you’re less likely to over-exfoliate. As most know, over-exfoliating can cause breakouts, flaky skin and irritation. All you need to get started is a good oil for skincare and an old washcloth.
How to Exfoliate with a Washcloth
Before we get into the “how” let’s focus on the “why.” There are many benefits to using a washcloth when you exfoliate.
People with sensitive skin and acne prone skin often shy away from exfoliates. A washcloth is a gentle way to slough off dead skin cells, which makes it perfect for these two tricky skin types. If you have extremely sensitive skin, you can also exfoliating with a pink clay mask.
It’s All Natural
Do you look at the ingredients in your exfoliates? You should start. Many name brand products contain harsh chemicals that are harmful to all skin types. When you use a washcloth, you know that you aren’t harming your skin with sulfates and parabens.
It’s pretty safe to say that we all own a washcloth. Depending on which company you choose, your store-bought exfoliate can cost a pretty penny. If you’re on a budget, or just don’t want to dish out $10 on a scrub, this is the best option.
Now let’s focus on how to exfoliate with a washcloth.
To get started, you’ll need the following:
- A soft, thick washcloth. If you have a soft muslin washcloth, this is best. It’s less likely to tear the skin.
- Coconut oil or olive oil. We chose coconut oil because it’s a wonderful moisturizer and skin softener. It’s also great at treating several skin disorders.
- Cleanse your face with your favorite daily cleanser. You want to start off with clean skin.
- Massage the coconut oil into your skin. Make sure not to forget under your chin and your neck.
- Drench your washcloth in very warm water. Wring it out.
- Lay the washcloth over your face for a few seconds. The heat will open up your pores.
- Rub in small circles. Gently apply pressure. Do this all over your face.
- Once you finish exfoliating, rinse off your face. Make sure you avoid your eye area. Gently pat dry with a towel.
- Enjoy brighter, clearer skin!