When it comes to fitness, the importance of a strong core is pretty evident. A firm core not only powers you through the entire workout but also makes sure that you do not feel pain or get injured in the process.
While planks and mountain climbers have their reputation in targeting different core muscles, they are certainly not better than a standing abs workout in terms of effectiveness. The standing abs workout not only targets your ab muscles but also work your hip and lower back muscles, and your deep core stabilizing muscles.
In short, they benefit your entire body, keeping it upright and providing support to your muscles.
We are about to reveal an effective standing abs workout routine that will help you burn the fat painlessly. It is exactly 10 minutes long without any breaks – though you may stop to take a breath if need be. Here is how it goes:
- Set 1: 30 seconds for each move
- Set 2: 40 seconds for each move
- Set 3: 0 seconds for each move
The workout involves the following five exercises.
1. Standing core rotation
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Hold a dumbbell with both hands and stretch your hands in front of your chest.
- Slowly begin to rotate your arms to the right as far as possible while moving your torso slightly.
- Hold for a second before rotating to the left.
- Alternating this move for 30 seconds will make your first set.
2. Standing oblique crunch
- The starting position involves standing with your legs hip-width apart and keeping your hands behind the head and your elbows wide.
- Lift your left knee towards your left elbow while bending your torso up and over to the left.
- Repeat on the right side after returning to the initial position.
- Alternate this move for 30 seconds in your first set.
3. Single leg forward reach
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms by your sides.
- Stretch your right leg behind you and your arms in front of you so that all your weight is transferred to your left leg. The key is to keep your torso parallel to the ground.
- Slowly bring your legs and arms back to the initial position. Then, repeat on the other side.
- Continue this move alternatively for 30 seconds to complete the first set.
4. Good mornings
- Keep your hands behind your head and your elbows wide while your feet are hip-distance apart.
- Keep your core tight and slightly bend your knees and hinge your hips back, lowering your torso so that it is almost parallel to the ground.
- Return to the standing position and then repeat for 30 seconds.
5. Front lunge with a twist
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a big step forward with your right foot, bending your knees to lower into a lunge and twisting your torso over the right leg.
- Return to the starting position and then repeat on your left side.
- Alternate this move for 30 seconds.
Consider including this standing abs workout in your fitness routine to strengthen your core while also working on the abs of your dreams – it is perfect to kill two birds with one stone! You will be amazed how your core will burn without even a single sit-up!