A wellness shot, sometimes known as immunity shots or health shots, are nutrient-rich drinks that, as the name implies, are literally the size of a shot. They’re small in size (roughly two ounces), but come with a variety of healing benefits, depending on the ingredients. Lemon grass and ginger shots are among the most popular, but you don’t have to stop there. You can find different flavors at whole food stores and farmers markets. However, it’s advised to make your own. Store-bought varieties may come with unhealthy additives, such as preservatives and chemicals. So if you choose to purchase your shot rather than make your own, check the ingredients beforehand.
Your homemade or store-bought wellness shot can alleviate flu and cold symptoms, along with everyday sluggishness. When you take daily wellness shots, you will instantly notice a difference in the way you feel, particularly if you use 95-100 percent organic ingredients. It can support optimized digestion and allow you to better absorb the nutrients that go into your body, also known as nutrient absorption.
5 DIY Wellness Shots
With so many nutritional foods packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, we expanded our wellness shots to the following five DIY recipes. We have one shot for everyday of the week to keep you supercharged and energetic. If you want to do these recipes at home, you will need to invest in a quality juicer. You can also purchase a cold press juicer, which is a better investment since you receive the most liquid from your produce.
1. Beets shot
The benefits of beets are they they’re high in vitamin C and can detoxify the liver. For this recipe, you will need:
- 2 medium beets, scrubbed clean and tops trimmed
- 1 medium seedless (hothouse or English) cucumber, rinsed
- 1-inch length piece fresh ginger, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 medium lemon
- Carefully chop your beets (they stain everything), cucumber and ginger into small pieces so they fit perfectly into your juicer.
- Peel the lemon, slice it in half, peel it and remove all the seeds.
- Add beets, cucumber and lemon into your juicer.
This is an original recipe from inspiredtaste.net.
2. Ginger Shot
When you feel sluggish from a cold or flu, knock back a ginger wellness shot. It will cure your symptoms and soothe your throat. For this recipe, you will need:
- ½-1 whole lemon
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- Dash or two of cayenne pepper
- Peel 1/2 a lemon, or a whole lemon if you can handle it. Remove the seeds and peel the fruit.
- Dice your ginger – you don’t need to remove the skin, but we recommend doing so.
- Add a couple dashes of cayenne pepper and juice away.
This is an original recipe from mindbodygreen.com.
3. Turmeric shot
As you may know by now, we do love our turmeric. We turn it into a golden latte and even use it as a face mask to treat common skin conditions. This Asian spice, popular in Ayurvedic medicine, can treat a number of ailments, including allergies, abdominal pain, muscle pain, asthma and other inflammatory diseases. For this recipe, you will need:
- ¾-1 whole lemon
- 1 thumb sized chunk of ginger
- 1-2 Teaspoons of turmeric powder or fresh root
- Peel, de-seed and slice your lemon.
- Add all the ingredients into your juicer. Cut the finger into smaller pieces if unable to fit.
This is an original recipe from thesweeterthejuice.com.
4. Raw Honey Shot
Whenever you feel stressed or anxious, relieve your stress and then take this shot. For this recipe, you will need:
- 2 cups pure coconut water
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 inch fresh ginger root
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Add all the ingredients into a juicer and pour into a large jug to store in the fridge.
Clearly, this isn’t a shot, which is why you store the drink in a larger container and pour out two ounce shots every morning.
This is an original recipe from mommypotamus.com.
5. Cayenne Pepper Shot
Cayenne can aid in digestion and help prevent you from getting sick – even during flu season. One shot of this a day will strengthen your immune system and fight off disease. For this recipe, you will need:
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 shot water
- ½ thumb ginger
- ½ thumb turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Peel half a lemon and remove the seeds.
- Cut half a thumb of tumeric and ginger into thin slices.
- Add all the ingredients into your juicer.
The best part about wellness shots is, aside from nutrient-richness, in one gulp, you’re doing your body a wealth of good. Furthermore, if these shots taste bad (which they probably will at first), you endure for less than a second!