Do you dream of having thick “Kardashian-like hair”? This infamous trio subscribes to a strict hair care routine so their tresses remain luxurious – even though they wear extensions. But I think we can all agree that whatever their routine, it costs far more than we can afford. So what’s a “normal” woman (or man) to do? For starters, we can turn to mother nature.
Fruits and vegetables harness vitamins and nutrients to keep us healthy, but they also come with the good stuff that promotes youthful skin and healthy hair. After some research, we came across a smoothie with hair-healthy ingredients to compete with the Kardashians. Not that it’s a competition…but if it was, this recipe would make us the winners.
Biotin for Hair Growth
Water and a nutritious diet is a good start for thick, healthy hair (and skin). Most of us have busy schedules, which makes it difficult to prepare three daily meals that incorporates all the vitamins and minerals we need on a daily basis. That’s where smoothies come in. You can pack your smoothie with vegetables that offer a variety of nutrients, then sweeten it with your favorite fruits. Enjoy it at school or work for a healthy breakfast or lunch.
In this DIY Biotin smoothie, these ingredients come with a hard biotin punch. Biotin encourages healthy hair growth, and strengthens fragile and delicate hair (also fingernails). However there is little scientific proof that biotin can actually grow hair. That being said, many men and women have used biotin with great success. Furthermore, we’re certain that with the ingredients found in this smoothie, your hair will thicken, strengthen, and elongate in a month or two.
Fruity Biotin Smoothie
To prepare your DIY biotin smoothie, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 frozen extra ripe banana (the riper it is, the sweeter it is)
- 8 frozen fresh strawberries (take a nibble and only include the sweetest strawberries)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup soaked oats (soak overnight in water or a plant-based milk)
- 5 oz water
- If you have a high-speed blender, throw in all the ingredients, starting with the water.
- If your blender is not high-speed, add the water and then the rest of the ingredients one at a time, blending as you go along.
This recipe is so easy to prepare, you can make it everyday to reap its full benefits.
Ingredients that Matter
There’s a reason we used these ingredients. Here’s why:
- Banana: One medium banana has a biotin nutrient density of 1.8, which is good.
- Strawberries: One cup of strawberries has a biotin nutrient density of 2.1, which is good. (However, we added the strawberries for the flavor).
- Avocado: This buttery fruit has a decent biotin content.
- Oats: 1/4 cup of oats has a biotin nutrient dentisty of 3.1, which is good.
The foods that are ranked as highest to lowest sources of biotin are rated in terms of excellent, very good and good.
What’s left to say? Oh yes: bom apetite! And let that hair flourish!